Chockstone Forum - Trip Reports

Tells Us About Your Latest Trip!

Topic Date User
TR - Vent Crack Booroomba 21-Dec-2009 At 1:19:52 PM cruze
On 21/12/2009 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>I thought I could see where Baryon re-enters Vent Crack (well named!),
>but after finishing and then re-reading the guide, decided that what I
>thought was it, was actually too high ie near the end of VC P4. I now think
>Baryon links back in on a weakness (shallow groove/not quite-ledge), separating
>the good friction slab from the smoother / lichened slab above, that we
>did. This is on the left and adjacent a huge 'chockstone' boulder feature
>(triangular/heart shape and size approx 3m x 3m), located within the VC
>trough*(!), … that separates VC P3 from P4. As best I can determine, the
>LHS of that boulder is VC P4 and the RHS is the start of After The Reiving.
>
>(*The original pitches 3 & 4 of Vent Crack would best be described in
>their current state as vegetated trench warfare, but the blunt arete/slab
>forming the left side of the trough is good climbing at Gd 15).
To get to Baryon flake do the first 1.5 pitches of VC then veer left over sharp blocky terrain to v obvious pancake flake which curves back right to massive trench (vc). You are correct that it rejoins vent crack at the spot where ATR goes right of wedged boulder thing and vent crack keeps on left of boulder thing.
Funny I can't remember very much exposure at all until the smoother slabby rounded fused vegetated wierdness of ATR.
You must go back. Have you been on Determinant with Terminant Corner finish yet? Pure gold. Great value at the very modest grade of 15.

There are 24 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints