Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
34? 1-Apr-2004 At 9:44:26 PM Onsight
Mighty Mouse / Josh. Thanks. I’m happy to respect your opinion and disagree with you at the same time too. That makes for interesting debate. It’s a complicated issues and I expect there to be many different opinions on it. I don’t know what you think the facts are, so I can’t comment on that.

The point is it was a legit send, but when the holds were hammered off the route was changed — and so we have to assess this differently now. Whether it was the intention or not, now it’s effectively a route with an “enforced sequence”, or it’s now effectively a “made to fit route”, whatever you want to call it. You say it was “very irresponsible”; but my question is: do you consider it be ethically acceptable, or ethically unacceptable (when claiming an ascent of this type)?

You see, I’ve always seen climbing ethics, and the way our climbing achievements are assessed/credited, as being inexorably linked. For example, you can climb a route on top-rope and for sure you’ve climbed it, but that wouldn’t be a legitimate ascent in this context either (though it’d still be a great achievement of course).

Simon

There are 238 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints