Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
Sabre and Barrier Knob 15-Apr-2008 At 8:53:42 PM vwills
I ended up borrowing some crampons and took my lightest axe with me. Didnt end up using them, but did carry them a bit just in case. Next time I will take better boots and crampons because it opens up more terrain and options. It has been an exceptionally dry summer over there which made getting around fairly straightforward.

Fantastic place. Didnt end up on either Sabre or doing routes on Barrier Knob this time but did do a route on the south face of the Sentinel, and Bowen Allen corner on Moirs mate as well as spending a day at the chasm and had a great time. Spent too much time at Paynes and Wanaka but that was good too.

I got the impression from Neil on a different thread that there wasnt much scope in the Darrans unless you are redpointing 23s. The person I ended up climbing with in the Darrans didnt climb much over 18 but after our long day trip to the Sentinel from Homer we wanted an easy walk day and with the help from the resident developer we were convinced to go to the chasm. The guide book is pretty useless for topos and already a bit out of date. In fact you can easily spend a day there zigzagging across the "access" pitches which were generally high quality in their own right and in the 17-20 range.
But I am going to go back for those upper pitches sometime!

And Boyd with the dreadlocks from Sydney- I hear you have my rope?

There are 15 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints