Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
Ayers Rock 6-Oct-2006 At 2:51:27 PM vwills
Devils tower climbing is officially banned in areas because of nesting birds throughout the year. Climbing in the month of June is a voluntary closure because of Indian mythology and beliefs and the sacredness of the site.
I would argue that the climbers on Devils tower during that period were far more respectful than the 1000s of fat loudmouth gawking tourists trashing the path around the base. I confess I climbed it because I was ignorant and turned up at that time of year, and then hooked up with a local climber who has lived there many years, used to be a ranger and has done many FAs on it, and was able to argue his points for ascent quite convincingly.
However if I went there again (ah the joys of phonolite porphyry- I almost loved cracks) I would make sure to stay away in the voluntary ban period.
And I'd never climb on, or ascend Ayers rock now, but did run up it many years ago before it was handed back to its traditional owners.

There are 52 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints