Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
Araps Rebolting 21-Dec-2005 At 10:57:25 PM Onsight
>While I totally agree that
>shitty old bolts should be replaced by bomber (preferably stainless glue-in's)
Too right.

>and I absolutely applaud the time and dedication of the people doing the
>replacing,
Here here! It’s really important work and it’s a thankless job and I reckon it’s fantastic there are people prepared to do the work…

>it just seems like preserving a sense of history should also
>be considered.
Well maybe but…

On 21/12/2005 rodw wrote:
>Its a sad day when a bit of metal shoved in the rock in the dark ages
>is what makes the climb, rather than the climb itself…
EXACTLY!

On 21/12/2005 Jonesy wrote:
>I think it's an important point that re-equipping may be occuring under
>the guise of a community service when infact it is an inherently selfish
>act.
Now now Chris, fair suck of the sav bottle! I think that’s going a bit far!

Hey Chris (J) have you got any more examples of actually RETRO-bolting at Arapiles other than Mind Arthritis (and maybe Cassandra)? You guys seem to be basing pretty much your whole argument on like this one route. I climbed this route years ago and while the peg didn’t concern me I certainly don’t think it added anything to its “character”. If it has been replaced by a good bolt now - then, well, great! Anyway, I’d hardly call this a case of retro-bolting as obviously it was the intention of the first ascentionist to have some fixed gear around there anyway. Like we agreed at the start, the rebolting needs doing, it’s a lot of work, personally I’m happy for the people actually doing the work to exercise a bit of discretion over decisions like that.

I’ve spoken with at least some of the people doing the re-bolting and think they probably do consider these issues more than some of you are giving them credit for. My only gripe was rings not being fully recessed in the early days but that has changed now.

At least they are doing the work!

There are 193 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints