Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
Havachatwithhexy... 25-Oct-2005 At 11:15:11 PM Onsight
>Rant over….

As a moderator decisions over some things such as spam are not easy. I support Neil’s decisions in this 100%. As far as I can see he’s being as fair to everyone as possible and his willingness to get involved in such decisions is one of the factors that has helped make this such a popular forum and asset to Oz climbing. It’s unfortunate if you don’t agree with decisions in relation to your post. Please remember all the moderators are volunteers who have other things to do with their time as well.

Neil said:
>Why do people feel the need to argue everytime we try and curtail Spam? I don't have the time >to argue this AGAIN at length.... sigh.... It was a warning - if i really didn't like it it would have >been deleted.

The issue of spam is not clear cut, hence my comment the other night which was meant in jest:
On 24/10/2005 Onsight wrote:
>Spam does taste so much better with olives.

Personally I don’t agree that whether or not the person making the post has a direct (or indirect) financial interest in the product or service being plugged should really be the deciding factor. If that becomes the decider then people might just end up getting alias’ and setting up threads very slyly to get their products discussed, and I don’t think that’d be good. I’m quite happy to be upfront about my own interests and accept there might be a few around who don’t see what I’m trying to do the same way that I do.

Anyway, I think a much better criteria for spam is one of relevance and interest. For example, as a moderator I would have absolutely no problem if someone started up a thread to announce that they were about to start publishing a new Oz climbing mag because I think that would be of interest to many and would certainly be relevant. I’d prefer to hear it from the horses mouth and by putting it on a public forum they take the risk it’ll get negative comments. On the other hand I think endorsements for one bit of gear over another are essentially worthless when we don’t know if people interests are being disclosed (and might as well be deleted).

Like I said, it’s not a clear cut issue, opinions will vary. I think we’re getting by OK.

Hey Josh, don’t forget to send us your invoice for plugging my new book the other day.

There are 2946 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints