HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
Spirit of Tassie, best way to travel on the ferry? 10-Nov-2004 At 7:43:16 AM oweng
Heres an extract from a trip report I never bothered to finish:

"I was fighting hard to maintain my balance, and the inevitability of having to finish the route was enough to make my stomach churn. I didnt like the position I was in, but could see no way to extricate myself. It was going to come down to a battle of wills, would I crack first, or would I successfully 'send' the route?

Twice before I'd been on it in appalling conditions, and twice I had failed. This time I was confident of success. Since nine o'clock I'd witnesses others in the party trying to hold on in vain. I was still going strong. The paper bag lined with plastic remained stowed in my pocket, not clutched over my mouth like the other poor wretches braving the 8 metres swells on the Bass Strait crossing.

Four am is a strange time on a sleepless Spirit of Tasmania Crossing. Whilst walking around trying to find somewhere away from the stench of vomit, one cant help but think that a strange transportation has occurred, transporting you to a parallel universe where the dead have re-animated. Around me are a mass of people, white skinned, wild eyed, groaning, gagging, and walking (those still capable of it) in a lurching crazed manner that makes me think I should consider locking myself in a shopping mall to avoid the orgy of flesh eating inevitably close to erupting.

After managing a broken hour of sleep as the floating hospital lurched up Port Phillip Bay, it was into the car for the drive to the airport to pick up a well rested Johno (who had taken the soft option of flying) and onto the highway for a week at Victoria's rock climbing Mecca, Mt Araplies."

The staff on the ferries are pedantic in stopping you sleeping on the floor in the 'aircraft seating' areas. If you want to stay in that area, the best bet is to sleep behind and underneath the back row of seats, against the wall.

Staff dont seem to mind you sleeping on the couches in the general lounge area, but you have to get in pretty quick to score these.

As stated, the 'beer garden' on the top deck, is deserted late at night, and im pretty sure that would be the best (only) place to take the thermorest and sleeping bag.

When you get on board and look around, check the areas out. Until 10pm, you have the option to upgrade to buisness class seating (for $40), or to a bed in a cabin (for $80).

My 'hot tip' is to send one of the group to inquire about a upgrade to a bed at about 1/4 to 10. More than likely you will be the only person to get an upgrade, and as such will be given a 4 bed room all to yourself (you can suss this out from the upgrade person). After 10:15 you can be pretty confident that no-one else will be upgrading, and can let your buddies in for free kip on a bed.

This of course would be wrong, and I couldnt condone it. Im just pointing out the theoretical possibilities....

Enjoy your stay in Tassie! Feel free to post / send me an email if you need any extra beta.

There are 15 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints