>>how's your travel going?
>
>also while i got ya, quick technical question....shooting on snow (using
>provia400f) should i meter off of the actual snow or off the subject? when
>i try meter off the snow then open up 1.5-2 stops i get great detail out
>of the snow but the subject is almost always too dark, but when i meter
>off the subject i get great blue skies and clear subject but the snow is
>hazy.... :-/

Three months in Europe was great thanks. If I ever get time I'll write a quick trip report...

What do you mean by hazy - too dark - or was it just the conditions were different? Metering off the snow and +1.5-2 sounds rights to me. If subject still too dark then the scene sounds really contrasty (sunny?). Why 400 ASA and not a better, slower, film? You must be some seriously fast action eh? Although I'm not sure a slower film will help much w the contrast problem, it might. I assume you're in manual mode; are you using spot metering too? Have you tried working out a benchmark, like metering off the palm of your hand (once you work out where that falls in the tonal range), or 18% grey card as a mid-tone. Or maybe try an incident light meter whilst you work out what's going on. Basically sounds like you need to do some tests (write down what you were thinking and metering off at the time so you can compare it with the results later).

It's worth cracking the manual spot-metering technique, once you've got it dialed then you're set.

Hope this helps. I haven't shot much snow for years. Glenn Tempest an expert in that field (earth to Glenn, come in Glenn...)

There are 75 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints