Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
Buandik 30-Sep-2013 At 9:59:11 PM access t CliffCare

There does seem to be a lot of opinions around that Vic Range is closed but " it's ok - it's open for climbing." Being 'discreet' seems to be about telling all and inviting all or promoting as such. It also seems to be about if the information isn't what people want to hear then it's confusing, not specific and the message isn't getting out there. This is not aimed specifically at any Chockstone posters but rather at a range of comments I have been hearing lately from a variety of sources. Below are 4 few links to where the latest information was posted which has been there for quite a while. There is also a large group of people who receive Argus (VCC newsletter which has the CliffCare update) so there are a variety of ways the information gets out there. All information is updated on Chockstone - though this can sometimes be a bit difficult to find depending on the thread name.
If there is no new information, the last report will have an older date - it means there is no update. Information and situation are still the same. Work is going on behind the scenes, but the situation hasn't changed. Below is the current state of play which is on all the noted links. I work for CliffCare and the VCC and I am directly involved with climbing negotiations with Parks Victoria with all and any issues that occur with the cliffs. So as I noted above, any changes or ongoing work will be shared with the climbing community as soon as possible. I try to do this within a couple of days. If you are not sure, drop me a line.

So, to answer the OP's original question - Buandik is not open for camping.

All of the roads are still closed. No vehicle access is allowed.There is some foot traffic allowed to access a few of the cliffs that we worked on at the Vic Range workday. Red Rocks Pinnacles,Mt Fox,Emu Rocks.Hollywood Bowl, Muline and the Gallery are all accessible by foot - from the intersection on Andersons Road (open) and Red Rock Road (closed). You will need to park on Andersons Road and then walk to any of these cliffs. Some are obviously a longer walk than others.
Eureka, Lost World, Red Sail, Gondwanaland and Weirs Creek - all the cliffs along that area will be closed for quite a while - say a year to 18 months as they were really badly damaged. All the other cliffs in the Vic Range are also closed. Their closures for the most part will depend on road reopenings although if any issues with regrowth and erosion are discovered this could affect it. As soon as this situation changes I will get the word out. But for now, they are closed.

I'm not going to go into the ins and outs of climbing in closed areas on this thread but what I will say, is that promoting the fact that it's ok to head into closed areas - especially the Victoria Range at this present time - is not doing the climbing community any favours now or for the long term. Something to keep in mind.

http://www.chockstone.org/Forum/Forum.asp?Action=Display&ForumID=1&MessageID=119206&Replies=2 victoria range workday – reopening update
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CliffCare-Victoria/120977761270950?ref=hl cliffcare facebook
http://cliffcare.org.au/2013/08/30/victoria-range-workday-and-reopening-update/ vic range cliffcare website
http://cliffcare.org.au/ cliffcare website home page

Cheers,
Tracey

There are 29 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints