HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
Self Regulation - What does it mean to you? 20-Jul-2012 At 11:45:16 AM Access T CliffCare
Thanks - Some great feedback and while many people are on the same page in regards to the reasoning behind self regulation, it’s interesting to see the levels of process that people might like to see put in place. I think when it comes down to the very basics, it is all about common sense and trying to do collectively, what we know is the right thing to do. But the right thing to do, hmmm – as simple as those things appear to be, it is not always the case. There are those who generally behave like assholes with absolutely no respect for the environment they are in or anyone elses needs and respond in direct opposition to a rule or guideline in place simply because it is that. A rule or a guideline. No matter how much sense it makes. And then there are those who engage in similar activities through ignorance. I really want to believe that the majority fall into this category. And like Kieran and others have noted, education is key, I think to ensuring that the community is for the most part, successful at self regulation. Not only for ourselves to know that we are looking after our part of our world but also as others have mentioned to be seen this way by other stakeholders, and that includes other park users and land managers. If we want to be involved in what happens to the areas we climb at and love, you can’t just rock up out of the wilderness, spout off about what we want, go back to our hidey holes and think that it’s all going to be taken on board. In times gone by, land managers would see a problem in a climbing area, make a decision and put in restrictions or just close the area. No consultation. This hasn’t happened for a long time. PV makes contact with me, whenever any issue crops up in order to get feedback, get information out to the climbing community. And this is due to the climbing community being involved and stepping up.
Getting the educational side of things out there will always be a never ending job as new climbers (and by new, not just new to the sport but new and different thinking )come into the sport/lifestyle and that is always going to be a job that takes time and money. I would like to put more time into this http://cliffcare.org.au/about/education/cliffcare-education-project/ that would hopefully go some way towards helping.
Armstp makes a really important point on commercial groups and this has been something that has been an issue swirling around in my head for a long time and no doubt previous Access officers heads. I have ideas on this and do think they need to be included in some way in our discussions because as Armstp notes, they are all grouped in together with the rest of us who climb out there when it comes to Land Managers. As individual climbers our needs and wants can be at odds with them more often than not.

Cheers,
Tracey

There are 53 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints