Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
Big falls on granite slab routes 30-May-2004 At 10:37:40 AM oweng
Id certainly rather take a fall of a nice vertical / overhanging wall than a slab. Luckily neither has happened yet.

The saving grace with slab climbing is that your rarely going to pump out and fall off. You can take plenty of time to consider your moves carefully. Of course your calves end up screaming if you stay in one place for too long, but generally the forearms are ok.

An amazing phenomonon I notice when climbing a slab is the fact that when you are wiggling on a bolt plate, whilst facing a big fall, It can often fell that your perilously close to falling, and that the holds / crystals are marginal at best. Then as soon as you clip the bolt, you realise that you can take one or more hands of and have a good rest. The holds just seem to get bigger suddenly!

I think the test piece slab route around Melbourne must be Skating Away (19/20) at Ben Cairn. The crux slab moves to THE BOLT are increadibly slippery, and your facing a big fall if you come off. last time I did it I got well scared and needed some top rope assistance! Its a great climb though!

Has anybody here taken the big fall from Skating Away? I'd be curious to know where you end up.

There are 33 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints