Goto Chockstone Home

  Guide
  Gallery
  Tech Tips
  Articles
  Reviews
  Dictionary
  Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

      Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

  Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints





Chockstone Forum - Chockstone Feedback

Provide Feedback About This Website

Poll Option Votes Graph
Definitely 10
59% 
Very Probably 0
 
Probably 0
 
Possibly 2
12% 
Probably Not 2
12% 
Outside Chance 1
6% 
Definitely Not 2
12% 

 Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 38
Author
Chockstone CPR and Defib
One Day Hero
21-Nov-2021
5:01:09 PM
Yeah, that's something which I never understood, people who use climbing (or climbing forums) as therapy. Fuch dude, sorry you had a rough childhood but maybe go and see a therapist?

The worst ones (and there have actually been a couple of examples) are people whose "therapy" is bolting. Like they actually try to get away with some sob story in their life and tie it all to bolting cliffs as if that excuses every shitty ethical decision. Get the fuch out of here.

E. Wells
21-Nov-2021
6:37:47 PM
Thats a brilliant idea! I went to kindy half a year too early and still suffer trauma from seeing E.T at the cinema. It all makes sense now. Im gonna rap Memorable Moves tomorrow and sort out that start.

Duang Daunk
24-Nov-2021
5:17:47 PM
On 21-Nov-2021 E. Wells wrote:
>Thats a brilliant idea! I went to kindy half a year too early and still
>suffer trauma from seeing E.T at the cinema. It all makes sense now. Im
>gonna rap Memorable Moves tomorrow and sort out that start.

Trolling again?
One Day Hero
24-Nov-2021
5:56:53 PM
Ev is attempting satire but it's destined to fall flat because I've had people use excuses almost that pissweak but they're serious. Modern consumer sport climbing is satire proof. Anything you might come up with which you think is an over the top pathetic embarrassment to the sport exists already.

gordoste
26-Nov-2021
11:40:56 AM
On 24-Nov-2021 One Day Hero wrote:
>Ev is attempting satire but it's destined to fall flat because I've had
>people use excuses almost that pissweak but they're serious. Modern consumer
>sport climbing is satire proof. Anything you might come up with which you
>think is an over the top pathetic embarrassment to the sport exists already.

OK boomer

Duang Daunk
26-Nov-2021
4:15:46 PM
On 26-Nov-2021 gordoste wrote:
>boomer

?
One Day Hero
27-Nov-2021
10:51:16 AM
On 26-Nov-2021 Duang Daunk wrote:
>On 26-Nov-2021 gordoste wrote:
>>boomer
>
>?

Gordo is giving me shit for being out of touch by using a joke the teenagers came up with two years ago and stopped using about 18 months ago, and he's probably in his late thirties.....so, yeah.

gordoste
29-Nov-2021
10:53:09 AM
On 27-Nov-2021 One Day Hero wrote:
>On 26-Nov-2021 Duang Daunk wrote:
>>On 26-Nov-2021 gordoste wrote:
>>>boomer
>>
>>?
>
>Gordo is giving me shit for being out of touch by using a joke the teenagers
>came up with two years ago and stopped using about 18 months ago, and he's
>probably in his late thirties.....so, yeah.

You are totally in touch, you just seem to be allergic to anything new, which that phrase sums up perfectly. Age is a state of mind - there are plenty of people in their 20s with "boomer" attitudes and plenty of actual baby boomers who are open to new ideas.

"Autotune is for people who can't sing"
"e-bikes are cheating"
"Anybody using electronic instruments isn't a real musician"
One Day Hero
29-Nov-2021
3:50:14 PM
That's not true. I'm not allergic to new ideas, it's just that most new (and old) ideas are shit. The "open minded people" often seem to be optimistic morons who latch onto every new idea then discard it just as quickly when the inevitable downsides become apparent. But they never learn to consider the downside of the next great new thing.

To address your examples;

ebike - fuching great, will get one shortly as a car substitute for local trips. Downside - chubby fuchers are using them to access wilderness which was previously only accessible to fit people, so more relatively untouched areas will get trashed.

Autotune- it's a tool which can be used in moderation to allow people with good ideas and slightly unpalatable voices to break through. Downside - it's actually being used to completely erase singing ability as a prerequisite, so now selection is based upon looks even more than it used to be, which is fuched.

Electronic music - it is real music but it can't be live music. The Beatles had the integrity to stop gigging once they started making what was often primitive electronic music. Nowadays you get two dickheads standing on a stage with a Mac each doing fuch all other than pressing play and wanking around with Blue Steel on their dial, and arseclowns have the audacity to call it a live gig.

Anyway, that's all by the by. What this is really about is that time I said it isn't possible to be a competent experienced climber if you maxed out at grade 21. You have hated me ever since, because you're a low 20s punter who bases their identity on being a super competent authority on climbing and just happens to not ever have climbed high grades. I still stand by that idea. There's a few exceptions, but I doubt you tick any of the boxes. And I'm not suggesting that your personal climbing is any less valid or that you shouldn't do it. Just that when someone is mouthing off as an authority on the subject and then you find out they've never really gotten past the level which lots of people reach in their first year.......?!?

gordoste
1-Dec-2021
1:24:16 PM
I agree with you that many people don't check whether their latest idea has been tried before. But there are also plenty of examples where an existing failed idea suddenly works because its time has come. Wheels on luggage is a fantastic example.

BTW I don't hate you. I'm trying to help you understand how your online persona makes others feel. It's really hard not to take it personally when someone is so relentlessly negative. How many times have you thought to yourself that people need to "lighten up" after they took one of your comments personally? Is the ODH persona a positive contribution?

To be totally honest I had no recollection of what comment you may or may not have made about grade 21 climbers and I am quite happy to be called a low 20s punter - it's what I am. If you have any actual examples where I have stated something incorrect or given poor advice, then please enlighten me. If you are in the habit of making judgements on people without actually considering any evidence, then I would certainly not trust your judgements.

Perhaps you could start a replacement climbing forum where advice can only be given by people who climb 26 or above??

E. Wells
1-Dec-2021
6:04:52 PM
Odh is the JoeyBToonz of the ACT. Indispensable.

Superstu
2-Dec-2021
5:59:13 AM
On 1-Dec-2021 E. Wells wrote:
>Odh is the JoeyBToonz of the ACT. Indispensable.

ODH the 70s Hard Climber Alter Ego fails to appreciate the two truths of climbing..

The harder a climber climbs, often the more boring they get! In order to climb harder, they must progressively give up on the other things in life that make them interesting. Thatís why Reel Rock films of the hardest sends struggle to keep the audiences awake!

Eternal bumblies never stop climbing scared, so they have the most fun.
One Day Hero
2-Dec-2021
7:12:07 AM
Nah Stu, I'm 100% with you on that and I reckon most Chocky people are too. There's nothing interesting or funny about competent serious climbers.

gordoste
3-Dec-2021
6:06:39 AM
On 2-Dec-2021 One Day Hero wrote:
>Nah Stu, I'm 100% with you on that and I reckon most Chocky people are
>too. There's nothing interesting or funny about competent serious climbers.

Yes and they don't spend all day sitting on internet forums waiting to give advice. Hence us mere mortals need to fill the gap as best we can.
rightarmbad
6-Dec-2021
7:43:25 PM
Forums are all the go.
New peoples come along complaining that they are too scared to post because well they are too scared to post.
Rules get put in place to make it easier for those scared to post to post.
Unfortunately, those same rules stifle the regular posters who are now too scared to post for fear of the nannies or just give up and don't give a f--- anymore because they don't want to read about everybody giving hugs because they managed to put their harness on unassisted.
The regular heart of the forum is now gone and the ones who were too scared to post and promised to join in if they got their spoilt brat ways still don't post because well, they are too scared to post.
Forum dies.
On face book one forum I am a member of kicked a bunch of very good people out for calling out incompetent fools.
A bunch of us then made another page mirroring this one but with no rules apart from call out bullshitters and either having been banned by the other group or at least have nearly been banned a prerequisite.
Funny thing is that our no rules platform is thriving and the original nanny group is dead.
And even more telling is the wild, wild west forum of ours is the most respectful place to be on all of facebook.
No hidden agendas, no carefully hidden personal attacks, just call a spade a spade and if you post something wrong you will be called on it.
Now newer members are stumbling in and comment that they had heard that this group harbours the scourges of the internet yet found the group very accepting and that they know there is a huge resource of experience they can draw on.

gordoste
8-Dec-2021
1:37:52 PM
I can believe that - banning criticism like mine can kill a forum.
One Day Hero
9-Dec-2021
8:32:12 PM
So brave!

gordoste
14-Dec-2021
7:35:21 AM
I sincerely hope that Chockstone doesn't die, just so I can quote that back to you every time you make a post :)

 Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 38
There are 38 messages in this topic.

 

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.



Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints