Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 27
Author
Hey, anyone know John Kazanas?
One Day Hero
6-Nov-2018
5:11:42 AM
So, am I correct in saying this dude got towed up Everest by a couple of sherpas and is now pretending to make a living as a motivational speaker? Seems I annoyed him by calling him stupid on a facebook thing about the Gramps closures. I have to admit that I was being my usual tactless self, but on the other hand he did write something very, very stupid.

Now I am getting pm's with the most over the top movie gangster style threats, and I can't tell if he's serious or joking (so well played there, I suppose). Just wondering if this kind of stuff in pm's is considered ok by the mods?

Chockstone Moderator
6-Nov-2018
5:34:19 AM
On 6-Nov-2018 One Day Hero wrote:
>So, am I correct in saying this dude got towed up Everest by a couple of
>sherpas and is now pretending to make a living as a motivational speaker?
>Seems I annoyed him by calling him stupid on a facebook thing about the
>Gramps closures. I have to admit that I was being my usual tactless self,
>but on the other hand he did write something very, very stupid.
>
>Now I am getting pm's with the most over the top movie gangster style
>threats, and I can't tell if he's serious or joking (so well played there,
>I suppose). Just wondering if this kind of stuff in pm's is considered
>ok by the mods?

A friendly reminder of a section of Chockstone Policy.

http://www.chockstone.org/Forum/Forum.asp?Action=Help&Topic=SPAM

Posts containing extremely offensive language, blatant racism, sexual harassment, or out right personal attacks on other forum members are unacceptable. On the other hand, light hearted banter, general cursing & expletives, and heated, confrontational debate is fine.

The Chockstone Moderator account represents a collection of hardworking souls who devote their own time, without remuneration, in an effort to protect the forum from spam, personal abuse, and degradation. They can, and will, edit or delete posts, lock topics, and ban users, if necessary.

One Day Hero I think that you, as one who has had time out yourself from this Site before, already know the answer to your question, and we will investigate your claims, though it could involve a period of time and even if the outcome is time out for JohnK on this Site, youíre still likely going to have the issue to deal with on other public media that you have referred to.

On this Site you could have informed us by PM yourself, but since you have gone public by way of dealing with it I will let this thread stand while investigations take place, to give our other Moderators a chance to read it as is, so we can arrive at a collaborative decision.

In the meantime itís now a locked thread and will likely be removed pending outcome of investigation.
Chockstone Moderator
7-Nov-2018
10:23:53 PM
The original post in this thread has been edited by removing the Private Messages that were posted to it.

Moderators have initiated appropriate PM's to the parties involved in the dispute.

The thread is now unlocked.

shortman
7-Nov-2018
11:58:54 PM
Yeah I read the PM's and am a bit surprised that;

A: John took it to heart so much
B: Came across as a complete tosser with the juvenile threats.
Will_P
8-Nov-2018
3:23:04 PM
So, it might be that there just arenít that many people on Chockstone anymore, but Iím a bit surprised by the silence on this one. So Iím going to break it.

John, Iím not on FB, so I havenít seen what Damien said to upset you. Heís really good at getting under a personís skin Ė he does it for fun, and yeah, itís easy to explode in reaction to his condescending and superior (and, objectively, often quite clever and funny) posts, especially if youíre the target.

But your response is so far outside the bounds of acceptable human interaction that youíve humiliated yourself, and disgusted those of us who saw it. Threats of violence, threats of sexual assault, and homophobic slurs are not consistent with the values of the climbing community (and yes, Iím actually quite comfortable speaking for the entire climbing community on that one).

I would suggest you need to examine why your reaction was what it was. Do you actually think that those kind of threats and slurs are acceptable? Are you going to dismiss it as Ďlocker room talkí, or Ďprivate correspondenceí? Do you understand why Iím saying those kind of comments are unacceptable, even if you didnít mean them? And why people would be so offended, regardless of whether they were the target or subject of anything contained within?

You need to find a new vocabulary to express your anger and hurt. Youíre an adult, with a decent education, and youíre spewing hate and threats like a schoolyard bully in the Ď80ís or the insane clown in the White House.

People like you and me and Damien, as beneficiaries of white male middle class privilege, have more influence and can effect more change than most people in this world; and we all make the world the way it is. You can choose to add to the negativity by projecting anger and hate and violence, or you can try to fight against that by displaying respect, civility, and compassion. Itís not always easy, I know, and you canít always stop people from upsetting you, but you can control how you react.
lacto
8-Nov-2018
6:12:12 PM
For someone who speaks for a living it is incredible that , that language and tone was used - almost professional suicide even though they were PM's but then what is private once on the internet

vwills
8-Nov-2018
7:41:58 PM
Concerned as to the mental state, seemed like a pathological response

Duang Daunk
8-Nov-2018
8:12:51 PM
On 8-Nov-2018 vwills wrote:
>Concerned as to the mental state, seemed like a pathological response

It was a fascinating reveal.
You sure know how to find them bro ODH.
climberman
8-Nov-2018
9:04:41 PM
I'm kind of sad I missed it.

Macciza
8-Nov-2018
10:38:41 PM
Yep it was definitely an over the top response ... I wonder what his 'sponsors' would make of it all ?? You just can't do that sort of stuff if you want to work with young underprivileged kids ... simply unacceptable ... clearly not 'role model' type behaviour ... let's hope some of them have a word with him about it ...
One Day Hero
9-Nov-2018
12:17:57 AM
On 8-Nov-2018 lacto wrote:
>even though they were PM's
>but then what is private once on the internet

Yeah, I wouldn't spray something up in public which was shared in a private conversation, but this ain't that. Sending written violent rapey threats with an expectation that the recipient will respect the privacy of the message is laughable.
Stugang
9-Nov-2018
1:04:50 AM
While I donít for a second condone the drivel JK put in his PMs to odh I donít think we should be patting Damos back too much on this as he is just as guilty of the sin he accused DK of on Facebook.

As I understand jk or friends of jk said on fb they were going to ignore the Grampians new route / climbing restrictions. Odh called them idiots or fkwits.

Letís face it a potential loss of access to Grampians is going to get a LOT of people fired up - really fired up! People that are fired up will say regrettable things. My read of ODHs fb aggressive reply was ďdude whatever you think or are planning, whether I agree or not, just donít put it out publicly†cos this will be seen by the all on both sides of argument†Ľ.

At the same time calling other climbers fkwits or idiots on a public thread specifically on Grampians access is not doing any favours to the cause of climbing access because ę†everyone can see it†Ľ and I hope damo and DK can modify their manner of contribution to the debate on this serious issue that affects us all.
One Day Hero
9-Nov-2018
1:43:10 AM
So what is the sensible response to a climber who is publicly talking smack about disobeying park rules?

Climbing has a problem. We have no 'self regulatory' processes for dealing with people who wilfully endanger access to world class crags. And most climbers are way too wishy-washy to face up to the nasty choice. Either stand back and watch a small minority of fuchwits gamble our access away, or find a method to bring them into line (which won't be easy or pretty).

White Trash
9-Nov-2018
1:58:02 AM
On 9-Nov-2018 One Day Hero wrote:
>So what is the sensible response to a climber who is publicly talking smack
>about disobeying park rules?
>
>Climbing has a problem. We have no 'self regulatory' processes for dealing
>with people who wilfully endanger access to world class crags. And most
>climbers are way too wishy-washy to face up to the nasty choice. Either
>stand back and watch a small minority of fuchwits gamble our access away,
>or find a method to bring them into line (which won't be easy or pretty).

I imagine itíd be less easy, or pretty, if bush walkers (who might also like climbing), aware of such ban / moratorium, find the recalcitrants in their act out there.
Thatíd be a new twist on chopping bolts, go for the bolters instead!
Stugang
9-Nov-2018
4:59:55 PM
I agree odh with regards to the wishy washy response in the past. Everything about potential access problems from dumb route development has been called out 1000 times for years. The nicey nicey approach has failed and when the dust has settled im all for having a good look at the reasons this has come to this.

However right now this topic is hot and you could have made your objection to an individual comment you disagreed with more effective by giving a bit of conteckst to your objection rather than straight name calling. All that is public and read by non climbers who wonít come away from looking at that with a favorable impression of us.

FYI I had to misspell conte*t as it wouldnít accept the post otherwise
widewetandslippery
9-Nov-2018
5:10:00 PM
White trash and stugang i think have made great points. Stugang pointing out social media is a very monitored platform and climbers should in such cases show unity. White Trash on the bloody obvious, dont piss off bushwalking brenda and daryl in the sandman. I have not seen the pms but to get on odh goat, holy phuck.
One Day Hero
9-Nov-2018
11:21:15 PM
On 9-Nov-2018 Stugang wrote:
>However right now this topic is hot and you could have made your objection
>to an individual comment you disagreed with more effective by giving a
>bit of conteckst to your objection rather than straight name calling. All
>that is public and read by non climbers who wonít come away from looking
>at that with a favorable impression of us.
>
Yeah, fair call. I'm not convinced that letting the bogan element air their views unchallenged gives a better impression though. Contechzt is all out there in public and has been for ages. People who are ignorant at this point are willfully so.
widewetandslippery
12-Nov-2018
6:22:57 PM
I want to hear the everest specifics
tjh
18-Nov-2018
5:06:04 PM
This post just gets weirder. Had a look at your name under your profile which is put down as Damian Jovanovic, and then found this (post below from years back). Sounds like there's a much bigger back story then your letting on...

My name is Damian Jovanovic. I am a climber from the ACT. I want it to be clear that I am in no way responsible for any posts under this name (Damietta, damoiscool, one day hero, Damienetta etc) and I want to disassociate myself from all the material posted under this name. A friend called me up this morning to tell me about the posts on Chockstone under my name.

I have been the victim of cowardly slander by a number of individuals who I will not name here who selfishly had their kicks at my expense. The climbing scene is in a sad and sorry state if there are such people with no morals and respect for others. The said individuals know who you are, and I am very disappointed at what has happened.

Any website that condones such acts is deficient in my mind and I will not be returning. I apologise to those who have put up with abuse and insults as a result of this sick exercise.

Damian
widewetandslippery
18-Nov-2018
8:09:35 PM
Odh/damo exist as one in the same. Cant comment on the disparity quoted. I still what the everest story is!

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 27
There are 27 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints