Goto Chockstone Home

  Guide
  Gallery
  Tech Tips
  Articles
  Reviews
  Dictionary
  Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

      Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

  Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints





Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

 Page 2 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 43
Author
Is Chockstone going the way of Crag X* ?

bigchris
1-Mar-2018
6:20:50 PM
On 1-Mar-2018 White Trash wrote:
>Chockstone is now the matronly aunt, kind of quiet and reserved and fading
>into the background, so you are right M9.
>Peeps that used to have gnarl like ODH, stugang, simey and Eduardo seldom
>post anything any more so thereís nothing contentious for other peeps like
>Wendy or bigchris to take them to task over.

Agreed.


>The Kaputar (where the fuchsia is that again? an while Iím at it whatever
>happened to bomberpro dude who I discovered when I read historical posts?),
>debolting thread didnít raise the post count as someone predicted because
>most people agree that it was the right thing to do, even if they never
>been there.

Muki is too busy climbing.



>
>I disagree with bigchris about gnaguts being a turn off cos heís about
>the only one injecting a bit of life into aunty Chockstone by spiking her
>tea from time to time.

Then we agree to disagree about your disagreement in an agreeable fashion.



But yes, I think Mike Law has it right. FB and TheCrag are a much easier way of getting local info.

E. Wells
3-Mar-2018
3:34:18 PM
Spill the beans Whippet , allow me to flee the country!
Jayford4321
3-Mar-2018
5:39:06 PM
On 3-Mar-2018 E. Wells wrote:
>Spill the beans Whippet , allow me to flee the country!

Carnt imagine U choppin boltz , so what did U do , ... drive tha get away car?
martym
9-Mar-2018
6:03:00 PM
On 18-Dec-2017 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>
>What's going on?

Maybe Chocky should follow the lead of the world's most popular climbing site.
widewetandslippery
9-Mar-2018
7:18:14 PM
On 9-Mar-2018 martym wrote:
>On 18-Dec-2017 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>>
>>What's going on?
>
>Maybe Chocky should follow the lead of the world's most
>popular climbing site.

Come on. The Poms take slander to heart, they watch home and away twice a day to see the sun, get pissed off when you tell them grit is poo. It's popular because it accommodates soft c--ks

IdratherbeclimbingM9
25-Jun-2018
4:51:23 PM
For the second time Chocky hiccuped again, ... with no posts made on 24 June 2018.

This, despite the resurgence, dare I say flurry(?), of posts made recently about proposed guidelines for new route bolting in the Grampians and elsewhere in Vic!
dalai
25-Jun-2018
6:28:06 PM
So what you are saying we should get stugang to create a few more alias logins and make some retrobolting topics more frequently to get the post count up?

How about I get his creative juices flowing with a suggestion. How about a topic on the replacement of the old pins on Kachoong with new ring bolts?

Vwills
25-Jun-2018
8:52:23 PM
Maybe everyone has been too busy appearing on tv
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-25/back-roads-natimuk-artists-show-regions-more-than-rock-climbing/9899682
ima.seriousyoungliza
26-Jun-2018
4:26:49 PM
On 18-Dec-2017 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>Chocky started 6 Jun 2002 at 5:35:33 PM ...
>
>Yesterday 17 Dec 2017 was the first day in its history that it did not
>have a post made to it, although about 90 people logged in to check out
>the non-action...
>
>In the last couple of months we have been down to a couple of posts on
>some days, and sometimes even spammers have provided some light reading
>material!
>
>Even the resident trolls have been quiet lately...
>
>What's going on?

...WELL...CLEARLY THERE IS A STRONG CORRALATION BETWEEN THE END OF THE INFECTIONOUSLY-INSPIRATIONAL KC THREAD THAT RAN FOR 2 YEARS AND THEN ENDED ON 9 DECEMBER 2017... AND THE START OF THIS THREAD WHICH WAS KICK STARTED BY UR OBSERVATION OF THE CIRCUMSTANCES OF 17 DECEMBER 2017 ....

SOLUTION ???....

A DOSE OF THE CARRIGAN YEARS !!!!

...HERE'S KC LOOK-A-LIKE PHIL OAKEY OF HUMAN LEAGUE IN 1984...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH-_bsCwdRw

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

..the same gorgeous dark eyes and designer-stubble as KC ...


... ; )

..
..........................................................................................
ima.seriousyoungliza
26-Jun-2018
6:23:42 PM
On 25-Jun-2018 dalai wrote:

>How about I get his creative juices flowing with a suggestion. How about
>a topic on the replacement of the old pins on Kachoong with new ring bolts?

...hey daliah.......you forgot to say please...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jfZ55t7hXk

.
Martym
2-Jul-2018
7:19:08 PM
On 25-Jun-2018 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>For the second time Chocky hiccuped again, ... with no posts made on 24
>June 2018.
Everyone too busy posting comments about England's 6:1 defeat of Panama on other forums?

First dry Sunday in weeks in NSW... ?
martym
12-Jul-2018
6:51:59 AM
On 22-Jan-2018 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>On 18-Dec-2017 mikllaw wrote:
>>local FB groups now supply much of the much-needed ego swelling tomfoolery

M9 I think I'm done. The troll to climbing enthusiast ratio is too high. It's been real.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
13-Jul-2018
1:03:31 AM
On 12-Jul-2018 martym wrote:
>On 22-Jan-2018 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>>On 18-Dec-2017 mikllaw wrote:
>>>local FB groups now supply much of the much-needed ego swelling tomfoolery
>
>M9 I think I'm done. The troll to climbing enthusiast ratio is too high.
>It's been real.

On that What happened to double ropes? thread I can see both points of view, so Iím not so sure that you were being trolled.
I for one would be disappointed to see you leave.

My attitude to the trolls is that they often provide colour and movement to the tapestry of the Chockstone fabric that otherwise wouldnít be there. If not taken seriously they are lightweight enough, and sometimes can even be a fun part of the overall climbing game.
If too many climbing enthusiasts succumb then they will win the game! ... A bit like new sport ethics overcoming old trad ethics in some respects?
technogeekery
24-Jul-2018
3:04:26 PM
Yep, its pretty much all over. I've enjoyed much of Chocky for years, but some of the problems have become crit ical.

-Trolls & lack of moderation. Without active moderation and policing of the more egregious trolls, it became an often unpleasant place and certainly not welcoming to newcomers, women, beginner climbers.
-Poor content - many or even most threads now just seem to be a couple of trolls (the same troll with different names?) gargling incomprehensibly at each other
-Lack of good content (not quite the same as above) - my interest in climbing forums is in direct proportion to the quality and regularity of new stories, trip reports, reviews, ideas and discussions. I've tried to contribute over the years, but so hard to post photos and attractive editorial content that I just gave up. I can't think how many photo reports I abandoned in frustration, or were later trun cated or mauled by the software
-Incredibly outdated forum software (maybe contributes to above) - clunky, brown, unattractive, hard to use, no social aspects, no decent database for content etc. Have offered to help with dogwork of updating to modern forum software, but no interest from owner
-Parochial focus on VIC - think the site had excellent opportunity to go from defacto AU climbers website to genuine centre for everything climbing related in Aus - but it would need love, care and hard work, and despite good will and possible input of work from many long term contributors, there seems to be no interest from the owner. And fair enough, it is clearly a sideline - but I do think without a plan to go forward and change with the times, the demise is inevitable

I think it has gone past the point of diminishing returns now, and the core of contributors have moved on, leaving just a shell with some considerable historical interest, and that is about it.

A real pity, as there is no really attractive alternative at present in AU. Anyway, I guess I'll keep popping back every year or two to see if things have changed or the ser ver has final rusted through and I get a 40 4 error. I guess some enthusiastic kids will eventually see the opportunity to work their arzes off for very small rewards and build a proper AU climbing forum, and I'll join that to whinge about the old days.

(Haha - as a parting kick in the bollocks, I got the following error when posting that: "Invalid or Suspicious Input Detected. Press BACK on your browser." I was able to defeat the forum's Content Prevention Engine by putting a space in trun cated)

bigchris
24-Jul-2018
9:21:20 PM
On 24-Jul-2018 technogeekery wrote:

>-Trolls & lack of moderation. Without active moderation and policing of
>the more egregious trolls, it became an often unpleasant place and certainly
>not welcoming to newcomers, women, beginner climbers.


Not to mention that many people on here think that their voice represents Australian climbing as a whole, when in fact it's not even close, further moving interested parties listed above to other online forums.

FatBoy
24-Jul-2018
9:46:42 PM
On 24-Jul-2018 bigchris wrote:
>On 24-Jul-2018 technogeekery wrote:
>
>>-Trolls & lack of moderation. Without active moderation and policing
>of
>>the more egregious trolls, it became an often unpleasant place and certainly
>>not welcoming to newcomers, women, beginner climbers.
>
>
>Not to mention that many people on here think that their voice represents
>Australian climbing as a whole, when in fact it's not even close, further
>moving interested parties listed above to other online forums.

That's a cheap shot, and not accurate - throughout the Grampians bolting debate I felt it was pretty clear that people were expressing how they personally felt, and yeah some people feel very strongly about the issue, but no-one I could see claimed to be speaking on behalf of the majority (except ironically yourself, above, "when it's not even close"). So moving because they disagree with opinions is one thing, but it's a completely different accusation from moving because of perceived overreach.

Chockstone dying ? Yeah I think it is too, and to echo a few others' opinion, I reckon there's three real reasons:
  1. hopelessly outdated forum software that is clunky, buggy and has no integration with anything else - I have also repeatedly offered help here and been met with crickets, and
  2. Content is poor - although this is possibly more "effect" than "cause" with disappearing numbers, poor software and the fact that most current discussion in climbing is best linked to specific areas and/or climbs which makes thecrag are far more effective platform, and
  3. the inane trolling - it started a long time ago and I reckon this has been death by a thousand cuts



bigchris
24-Jul-2018
9:54:33 PM
On 24-Jul-2018 FatBoy wrote:
>On 24-Jul-2018 bigchris wrote:
>>On 24-Jul-2018 technogeekery wrote:
>>
>>>-Trolls & lack of moderation. Without active moderation and policing
>>of
>>>the more egregious trolls, it became an often unpleasant place and certainly
>>>not welcoming to newcomers, women, beginner climbers.
>>
>>
>>Not to mention that many people on here think that their voice represents
>>Australian climbing as a whole, when in fact it's not even close, further
>>moving interested parties listed above to other online forums.
>
>That's a cheap shot, and not accurate - throughout the Grampians bolting
>debate I felt it was pretty clear that people were expressing how they
>personally felt, and yeah some people feel very strongly about the issue,
>but no-one I could see claimed to be speaking on behalf of the majority
>(except ironically yourself, above, "when it's not even close"). So moving
>because they disagree with opinions is one thing, but it's a completely
>different accusation from moving because of perceived overreach.



You mean the 'Chockstone' grampians bolting debate? Where the same people on Chockstone argued with each other like a bunch of school kids and the 99% of people that read it from outside of chockstone sat back an laughed? :D :D

FatBoy
24-Jul-2018
10:18:06 PM
On 24-Jul-2018 bigchris wrote:
>You mean the 'Chockstone' grampians bolting debate? Where the same people
>on Chockstone argued with each other like a bunch of school kids and the
>99% of people that read it from outside of chockstone sat back an laughed?
>:D :D

I can only assume with such a puerile response that you're trolling (in addition to being a hypocrite).

Yes ... the one which originated here, involved the VCC (who agreed that there were broader concerns from land managers) attempted to suggest possible solutions and then proceeded solicited feedback from other platforms.

You (I assume) know the other 99% personally and sought their opinion (your own echo chamber doesn't count) ? And yet we're the ones being accused of claiming to represent the entire community ? You've effectively suggested that the process of taking your bat and ball when you disagree is justified, whenever the opinion differs.
widewetandslippery
24-Jul-2018
11:40:01 PM
Harden the f up Australia. Grow some pubic hair. If you are an adult and trolling disturbs you, you are weak, you are pathetic, harden the f up. This is a rockclimbing site. Conquistadors of the useless. Know your place

Chloe
25-Jul-2018
2:30:30 AM
Iíve been here a while and Iíve noticed Chockstone has slowed up, but believe it still has a good heart.

The change started happening back when the site got hacked and its already aging platform became unusably clunky with the work-around solution that was implemented.
Things run in cycles and it was unlikely to remain a hectic place consistently. That period probably coincided with the rise of Facebook climbing groups so it slowed down more.

The lack of trip reports is a real downer, and the biggest turnoff in my opinion.

I believe it still has a good heart because the recent Grampians bolting policy proposals thread showed that plenty of climbers scan chocky and contributed when an important issue came up.
Anyone thatís been a long termer here already knows the views of the other long termers and although some contributions are predictable they are still important and need to be made because there are plenty of new climbers that although silent here, still read those posts as new material.

I also notice the recent perception of the place being over-run by trolls being posted on here.
This is a false perception!
The worst offenders have not posted anything contentious for ages and apparently have moved on. Really, any that are left seem to have only posted their legitimate views rather than tear strips off each other.

I also think the perception that they have been un-moderated is wrong.
This site is incredibly clean if compared to other forums and I would think that this is a direct tribute to the behind the scenes work of its moderators.

Other Chockstone characters have been quiet lately but thatís probably because they are out climbing and have busy lives otherwise. Either that or they are getting old and need their power-naps to recharge their batteries instead of repeating their mantra here again.

I think Chockstone can be revitalised with good software and would for sure become Australias premier climbing website again.

 Page 2 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 43
There are 43 messages in this topic.

 

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.



Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints